First of all: Happy New Year guys! I hope you’ve had an amazing Christmas and New Year’s Eve and are starting 2017 with a lot (or at least some) positivity and motivation.
It’s been a little quiet on the blog the last month, but I’m slowly trying to get back to being productive and working on having a more positive mindset. I don’t know how it is for you guys, but my winter funk struggles are real! Spring honestly can’t come early enough for me. I need that sunshine and warmth, yo!
Besides that, December is actually my least favorite month of the year. Don’t get me wrong, I love the festive feeling and all the Christmas decorations (in my own apartment I would keep my Christmas tree up until February), but all the obligatory holiday parties can be quite a
nightmare struggle for someone with social anxiety issues like me (just throwing it out there). But that is a different blog post entirely. Despite that, I did have a good time with family and friends around Christmas and the New Year! c:
December in Review
So December hasn’t been productive for me on any level, really. I had made a list of goals in hopes of beating the yearly winter and holiday season funk, but that didn’t go as well as planned…however I don’t like to beat myself up about it, so in stead of listing these goals again and going through them with you like I usually do, I’ll just give you a little summary c;
- Watching – Westworld, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Crazyhead, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, Sense8 Christmas Special, Van Hellsing, The Exorcist, Once Upon a Time Season 4, Ash VS Evil Dead, The Expanse, 3%
- Playing – Dishonored, Telltale’s Game of Thrones
- Reading – not Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I just can’t get myself to finishing it, so I’m giving up for now! X’D I did however discover Storytel via my younger sister (I have two younger sisters). It’s a digital subscription to unlimited acces to their library of Dutch and English audiobooks and e-books for €9,99 per month. So far I’m very pleased with it and I’m actually already on my third book! In December I read The Selection by Kiera Cass. It’s not a literary masterpiece, but very entertaining none the less and I enjoy listening to it while doing my chores. I’m finally reading again thanks to Storytel, whoop!
It may be kind of silly, but I always get excited when a new year has started. To me, a new year means a clean slate. Time to reflect on the progress that you made during the previous year and to think about how to do even better in the new year! For me 2017 will be mostly about working on two things:
- self love and acceptance – as I’ve noticed that I’ve been struggling more with my social anxiety and some depression during the course of last year. That isn’t all that surprising considering that, for the most part of 2016, I felt like I was stuck in a job that I really hated. If that isn’t depressing enough on it’s own, depression also triggers my social anxiety, which then in turn exacerbates (love that word) my feelings of depression. That is one vicious circle I really don’t want to be in! While quitting my job (you can read all about it here) was very relieving and I do not regret it for one moment, it didn’t take long for reality to hit me with the next tough question: “What now?”. I can happily say I’ve finally answered this question, which brings me to the next thing:
- a change of career – I’ve found a home course in Social Media Studies that I really want to take that should help me achieve this goal. I’m very excited to get started on it already! It should hopefully be the first step in changing my career to Social Media Marketeer.
Besides these two major themes, which will be having my priority this year, I’ve also set some other fun goals that I’m also really excited about:
- Read 12 books
- Try 36 new recipes
- See 36 movies in the cinema
- Go to a music festival for the first time
- Go to concerts
- Go to a movie festival
- Make a road trip
- Visit new places
- Make more time to be creative
- Continue blogging
- Exercise regularly
- Be more social
- Safe up money
Time for the first monthly goals of 2017! Most are similar to the previous months:
Read 1 book– So I’ve actually already reach this goal! I’ve read The Elite, the second book in The Selection series by Kiera Cass, and am now reading the third book The One.
- Watch 3 movies in the cinema – two of my friends now also have a subscription to the cinema, so I expect to be going a lot more often this year! I’ve already seen one: La La Land. You can read my review here.
- Try out 3 new recipes – Already tried to make potato croquettes! It was an epic fail, but it still counts c’: I actually enjoy cooking once I’m doing it. Especially now I have discovered audibooks.
- Get a home study course for Social Media Studies – Time for that career change!
- Try to get back into exercising and running – let’s start with once a week. There was a time when I would go to the gym for at least 3 times a week, so I know I can do it. Just need to get back into the rithm c: Last month I made it a goal to at least go for a walk every day and that actually worked quite well, so let’s step it up a bit! By no means am I planning to go back to exercising as much as I used to, but once or twice a week would be great.
So there you go, these are my goals for this year and for January! This post turned out to be a lot longer than I wanted it to be haha, but I hope you’ve enjoyed it nonetheless c:
Have you set your 2017 goals yet? And do you ever get in a winter funk and if you do, what do you do to get out of it? Let me know in the comments c: (comments)